NOTE: these pics were all taken in very bright incandescent lighting ("soft white" at 2700K)
colors will vary under other lighting conditions
In terms of its potential to cause urushiol-induced contact dermatitis, poison sumac is more toxic than its relatives poison ivy and poison oak. According to some botanists, poison sumac is the most toxic plant species in the United StatesAdditionally, there is some disagreement as to the proper botanical name for this wood. According to some authorities Rhus vernix is a synonym for Toxicodendron vernix, which is the result of a re-classification. This would imply that poison sumac used to fit in with the other sumac species (Rhus spp.), but has now been reclassified to the genus Toxicodendron. The Plant List (which is what I use consistently for this site) disagrees. It lists the names as separate and each as an accepted species name.